PDA

View Full Version : The frustration of HPA

POP22
01-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Several months ago I jumped on the HPA bandwagon. I bought a Powermax Hipac for my custom 2240. Then i bought a "never used" Benjamin hand pump. I happily pumped away...to no avail. because it was "new" I sent it for repair. Got it back and pumped up my Hipac twice... a total of about 100 strokes..... and FAIL again. I get the kit and rebuild it myself. THREE times... each time a different oring fails. SO, I get fed up and look into buying a 4500 psi rated tank, package with "everything I need"... I sell my Airforce Condor to be able to buy, ( I was taking the tank to a painball guy to fill it ) a tank, valve, and fill hose. The $70 hose arrives with a serious gouge in it so email the place I bought it. I get this reply, ( actual quote from the email):" Please send it back and I will replace it. I guarantee it happened when the box was cut open as I personally packed your shipment and checked the hose prior to shipping." I felt that was a rather rude comment from someone running a business and should not have been put in the email. Well, I'm not stupid and know enough to be careful opening a box with $500 worth of stuff in it! The hose was in a plastic bag. there was no cut in the bag, so so much for his comment.
I get the replacement hose. I had previously found a paintball shop willing to fill my tank, even thought they are closed this time of year. Cool! I truck my stuff over there on a day that's about 15 degrees and windy, only to find out, I DON'T have everything I need! GRRRRRRRR!!!

My point is, there are so many variables and no guide to go by, you end up figuring it out by trial by money....
And here's the thing.There are too many variables. I checked in the site where i bought my tank, and there are two main types of fill valves, and at least 7 different fill probes and adapters! How was I to know I'd also need to have a male to male ( paintball )adapter in order to fill my tank!
And in the middle of all this, I am suppose to be testing a new valve design. I'm feeling really bad about putting my foot in my mouth on that one. SO, I'm waiting for the adapter and praying we don't get snow before I get it, because I'm screwed if we do. there's NO place within a 100 miles that can do a 4500psi fill. I can get a 3000 psi fill and it will be fine for testing with the 2240, but that leaves me with a rifle I'd likely get 2 or three useable fills for. I'm about ready to chuck it all and go back to CO2.........

joe k
01-09-2012, 11:54 PM
pop
i hope you get it all worked out and smooth sailing from now.
joe

joe k
01-09-2012, 11:56 PM
oh yea hey pop hows the hipac valves coming ?
joe

POP22
01-12-2012, 02:29 AM
haven't received my male pb to male pb connector yet. should have it by Monday, then I'll have some air finally and can get the testing done.

Smaug
01-17-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm pretty shocked you sold your Condor to adapt a CO2 gun to HPA. Totally not worth it, in my opinion. The Condor is a nice rifle on which everything already works. No jerking around. You sold it for something experimental. Bad call, if you didn't have money and time to spend on the project.

Here's what I think you should do. See if you can get a refund or exchange on the Benji pump. Sell the tank and related paraphernalia. Buy a Hill pump. Make sure you have the right fittings. Then, you're making your own high pressure air and are on your own schedule. All hand pumps aren't garbage, but the Crosman ones are. It is pretty well known, too.

Meanwhile, you're still out the Condor, which it sad. You'll have to save up and replace that with another PCP eventually, because a HPA 2240 is in no way a replacement for that, even if it works.

grumpy
01-17-2012, 08:02 PM
I know it can be very frustrating. I was in the same boat as you until I found a local shop who made sure I had everything to charge my guns. Really hope you get it all sorted out soon.

Grumpy