PDA

View Full Version : Findlay Ohio Toys that shoot show report

grumpy
04-16-2012, 02:20 AM
On Saturday, I had the pleasure of attending my very first air gun show. Well it was not only an air gun show, but a toy guns show as well. Either way, it was a real treat for me and my son. The show was hosted by Dan Lerma, Duane Shafferly and Dave Barchent. I was fortunate enough to go because we ( the wife and I ) live only about 2 hours from the shows venue, in Findlay Ohio.

We had wanted to arrive at the shows opening at 9:00 am, but were a little late getting on the road. It was probably a good thing though, cause it was still pretty busy when we arrived a little before 10 am. The venue was smaller then I had anticipated but what it lacked it size it made up for in quality and quantity. It was wall to wall air guns ! What more could a guy, or gal ask for ?

After we paid our $3 attendance fee we stopped to look at the wonderful raffle prize table. They had all sorts of goodies. Sadly though, we could not participate in the raffle due to having to leave well before the 3:00 pm ticket drawing.

OK, so now we are entering the shows main room and you just have to stop for a second and take it all in. Holy cow, I said to myself, this must be what heaven is like for an air gunner. It was wall to wall guns, and people who all shared this great hobby we all love. So its then that I realize theres no way I can take pictures and check out all the neat toys that I must have, so I hand off the camera to my lovely wife and ask her to snap pictures of anything an everything, and she did.

Oh my gosh ! The first few tables were so jam packed, I just stood there a stupid look on my face. The kind of look I get when I don't know where to start. It's then that I'm nearly run over by tons of other people making a beeline for the tables. OK, new plan of attack. Stick and move, stick and move. I kick myself in the rear and head right to the nearest table, run my eyes over it and say to myself " keep moving son", you can always come back.

I am halfway through the show when I see a pair of Dennis Quackenbush gems sitting on a table. So I make a beeline to the table, I think I nearly knocked over 3 guys and a wife ( sorry ). Only after inquiring how much they are do I realize that I am standing there talking with Mr. Quackenbush himself. At that point I remember feeling like a blubbering idiot asking silly questions. Mr. Q was a true gentleman and obliged me with a very informative answer. I had never seen any of his wonderful works of art in person but after attending this show I can tell you that I will be ordering one, as soon as I can talk the wife into it !

Two DAQ's that I bet any of us would kill for !
http://www.airgunsforum.com/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=59

After I said goodbye to Mr. Quackenbush I spot some more big bore guns at the next table. Now, I have been wanting to hunt deer with a big bore for some time. Realizing that theres no way to get a DAQ this year, short of lucking out and finding a used one, I starting asking a this gentleman a few questions. As it turns out this fellow was Randy Mitchell, Owner of http://www.adventuresinairguns.com He was kind enough to explain his product line to me all the while dealing with my "newbie" questions. He really is a man of true patience. I spotted a gun sitting on his rack called the Corsair +, pictured below in the top of the rack
http://www.airgunsforum.com/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=61

I told him how my arm strength is very weak and I need a light carbine. He said to try this one ( the one pictured above ) I was floored, it was light and shouldered like it was meant for me. I knew I had to have it !

At that point it was a matter of convincing the boss ( the wife ) I was like a little kid ready to stomp his feet screaming I want it, I want it, but before I could she looks at me and said " if you really want it then buy it"
Man I am the luckiest guy in the world to have an understanding wife. Can you guess what we left the show with ? :D

To wrap up my report the show was awesome ! Because of my time constraints and other commitments I was disappointed that I did not get to meet some of my new friends from the many air gun forums I frequent. I was also disappointed as well, that Jim Chapman could not make it to the show until after we had left. From my understanding Mr. Chapman was supposed to bring some very special guns that I had hoped to see in person.

To anyone considering making one of these toys that shoot shows, I highly recommend it ! If you would like to see more pictures from the show, here is a link to my gallery with more pictures.

http://www.airgunsforum.com/album.php?albumid=4

Thanks for reading my ramblings
David ( Grumpy )

eric
04-17-2012, 01:02 AM
link doesn't work !!!!!

grumpy
04-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Which like eric. I tried them all and they work for me. But that does not mean your not right.

eric
04-18-2012, 01:17 AM
the one on in hte bottom of your post http://www.airgunsforum.com/album.php?albumid=4
says i don't have permission or something :( vBulletin Message
eric, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home