PDA

View Full Version : Ticked Off My Son... a little I think

Bob La Londe
05-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Rob invited me to go out to the range with him a couple days ago. He wanted to shoot the .22 I gave him for Christmas. A rather nice Mossberg/Montgomery Wards gun I bought from a friend who needed money many years ago.

I brought a couple of my .22 rifles, my .22 mag Handi Rifle, and both of my Marauders. There was a pretty healthy breeze so even the .22s needed a little windage adjustment once we got out past 50 yards or so. (The .22 Mag seemed to be pretty much right were it should be except the scope seemed to have shifted since last time it was out.)

After a while I broke out the airguns. The .25 Marauder fired its 24 shots fairly well out to 60 yards or so. Then I started playing with the .177. It was really way to breezy for the gun, but I was tired of burning through my stock of powder. There were a number of old shot up golfballs on the range from 40 yards on out. I am always leery of shooting golfballs with a pellet gun. At short range they can return the pellet to you, so I picked targets that were further out.

Then Rob announced he was going to shoot a green one that was out about 70 yards with his .22. He was shooting iron sights, and putting them pretty close, but I think he was struggling with his sight window and the wind a little. I put the Crosshairs of the .177 Marauder on it, and discovered it was a tennis ball. I made a guess for windage and elevation and promptly missed. It took me a little while to get it right, but when I did the pellets still had enough energy to roll the ball a little bit at that range. I shot the ball maybe 3 out of 5 shots from 70 to about 85 yards after that. Then Rob got annoyed with me and picked up the scoped .22 Mag and sent the ball out past the 100 yard mark. About that same time the .177 came off the regulator and velocities went wonky. Still it was fun. Not long after we headed in.

For me it was strictly bench shooting, but at the shorter ranges Rob did fine off hand.

Geoffrey_K
05-28-2015, 05:56 PM
sounds like a fun time