PDA

View Full Version : Bang Flop - Five Minutes Ago

Bob La Londe
06-01-2015, 11:12 PM
I've been trying to keep the .25 Marauder handy lately because I had noticed a couple gophers making holes around the front corner of the fence line. Near the inner wall there is a stack of bricks about 40-45 yards from the corner so I had taken to walking up there once in a while and scoping the base of the fence. Today I spotted two of them standing there looking around. One darted off to a hole. Ordinarily I'll keep an eye on the hole when they do that because they will pop their head back in a minute to look around. Sadly this one was behind a weed were I couldn't see him. I turned the scope back towards where he ran from and the other was still standing there eyeballing me. I used the stack of brick as a rest, and put the crosshairs on him. I didn't feel steady, but when I saw a plume of dirt shoot up from the bank behind him I was surprised. I knew I missed. Then I saw him laying there paws up. It dropped him cold on the spot, and passed thru with enough energy left that I couldn't discern the difference from the geyser of dirt thrown up in the air.

I started scanning the weed hiding the hole where the other one had gone, but no luck. I started looking for good cover and a rest location elsewhere that I might see the hole. Then I decided to scan the base of the fence with the scope again. There he was standing up right where I had seen him the first time. I got a little buck fever I think and missed to the right a smidgeon. He didn't even flinch. The second shot took him thru the shoulder, folded him almost in half, and still threw up a huge plume of dirt from the dirt bank beyond after it passed thru.

I think a 25.4 grain Exact King at 900FPS+ might be overkill for exterminating gophers.

critter99
06-02-2015, 01:16 AM
I'd say that is about just right *_*