PDA

View Full Version : Darn Gophers - 91 Yards With The .177 Marauder

Bob La Londe
08-23-2015, 12:29 AM
I had the .177 Marauder tuned to about 915 with 10.65 Copper jacketed H&Ns. I was also getting about 80 shots at that power. Today I decided to crank it up a little. The throw is already at max, so increased the preload by one turn, and stepped outside to take a couple shots. Alas its way to windy today to do any real groupings, but I spotted a gopher back near the irrigation canal. My first shot was a miss, but he barely flinched. I adjust and came up a hair short and hair short and a hair left. On my third shot I saw him turn and dive down the hole a fraction of a second before I heard that distinctive TH-WAP!. I thought I missed the way he dove, but that impact sound had me thinking maybe I didn't. Then a second later he came out from behind the dirt mound in front of his hole laid on his back and died. Scratch one more canal breaking pest.

It was way out there, and the way the sound reached me well after he went down I had to pace it off. 91 yards. No freaking way. Now I have to get the Pro Chrono out and see how fast I have this thing shooting. Its still well below the sound barrier, because the shot was still dead quiet, but the impact sound had the thwap of a 20 yard kill shot.

I was thinking about cranking up the speed of the .25 for those long range shots, but if the .177 will do that, then why bother.

Bob La Londe
08-23-2015, 04:32 AM
It had to be total luck. Tried a follow up later at about 110 yards, and on the third shot I got pretty close. The wind was still brisk, so I had to get windage and elevation. Anyway on the third shot I could see the pellet sort of appear around 80 yards out and fade over and down with the wind. It was like the pellet slowed down dramatically at around 80 yards.

Bob La Londe
08-24-2015, 02:18 AM
Nah!

Yeah, I made a miracle shot yesterday, but the .25 bottle-rod is going to remain my pest thumper. Shot a gopher just now at about 40 yards. Picked him right up and flipped him on his back. No doubt about that kill. 10 seconds later a Eurasian dove landed in the killing tree. It was KNOCKED off the branch. LOL.

critter99
08-24-2015, 05:01 PM
mine sure seem to be may favorite most of the time

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad257/critter99/BOTTLE%20FEED%20MROD/IMG_1884_zpsad2ceba2.jpg (http://s941.photobucket.com/user/critter99/media/BOTTLE%20FEED%20MROD/IMG_1884_zpsad2ceba2.jpg.html)