Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
You don't appear to be registered. Click here to register
Search the forums:

Air Gun Forums » Air gun Alley » Turkish blend » Webley Tomahawk .22 review w/pics

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
SteveP

Default Webley Tomahawk .22 review w/pics

I'll start this by saying I got one of the 2 I have from AOA back when they had them on sale for $169.99, the 2nd I bought from another member here named Geoffrey as it was just too good a deal to pass on and in part because I basically pestered him until he sold it to me.

Took me 2 weeks to get the rifle and a couple of phone calls to even get a shipping confirmation from AOA which appears to be pretty standard for them although they'll take your payment inside 5 minutes for anything you order and the scope I got added to the deal they mounted for me, also something i won't recommend letting them do as mine came off the rifle in the first 20 shots because it wasn't torqued down properly. Part my my fault for not checking but I also shouldn't have had to if the person mounting it knew what they were doing.
The walnut stock is spotless with no blemishes or marks and it gives the rifle a nice solid fee and considering it's made by Hatsan, it looks way better than the stock on my Mod 95. No marks or light spots in the bluing or the ported muzzle break. It comes without sights so you definitely need a scope and I got the Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 AO IR scope deal they offered with the riflel. I already own one and they're real nice scopes so it was a no brainer to get a normally $130 scope for $30.
I didn't adjust the trigger yet but it comes with the gold Quattro trigger and SAS and I also got the bonus of a break in the weather so I got some shooting in. There's a bit of metal rubbing when cocking but I oiled the barrel forks and that stopped in about 20 shots or so. Cocking is a smooth pull all the way through and about 30-35 pounds cocking effort so not very hard at all. It's a springer and there was some twang and buzz when I first started but that's also starting to fade and the recoil is actually less than I thought it would be and after AoA shooting it and me putting over a 100 pellets through it, it shoots very nicely.

I expect these numbers to change a little the more I shoot it, but here's what the chrony said for the pellets I tried:
-H&N Sniper Light 14 gr: 778 average, High 808, Low 752, ES 56, SD 18, 18.82 fpe
-JSB Exact Jumbo 15.89gr: 686 average, High 714, Low 646, ES 68, SD 21, 16.61 fpe
-H&N FTT 14.66gr:767 average, High 778, Low 736, ES 42, SD 12, 19.15 fpe
-RWS Superdome 14.5gr: 775 average, High 783, Low 768, ES 15, SD 5, 19.34 fpe
-Remington Express 14gr: 747 average, High 752, Low 729, ES 23, SD 7, 17.35 fpe

I'll note that at least on mine, the leade is seriously snug. The H&N FTT's I used are 5.53 head and they were a very snug fit so I never tried the 5.54's and Crow Magnums don't fit. Of the others I tried, the Remington's were on the loose side, the rest actually fit pretty well. The numbers also had me wondering how accuracy was going to be but after fixing the above noted scope issue by mounting and sighting the Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO IR scope I also bought for it (the 2-7x32 is going on the Spector).
I'll definitely try them all for accuracy, but the 2 targets I did manage to shoot before the weather got worse I'm seriously impressed with. Both were shot at 20 yards with a 15mph crosswind off the back of a lawn chair. The first was the H&N FTT's, the second was with the H&N Sniper Lights and with groups like the ones I got, I seriously need a bench and roller rest.
If you're in the market for a .22 springer with nice power and seriously accurate, the Tomahawk is a great choice provided you can find one . AOA no longer carries the .22 and the only place I've found left so far that does is Pyramyd Air. The last picture is the final setup with the Hawke Vantage 3-9x40.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tomahawk1.jpg
Views:	3048
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tomahawk2.jpg
Views:	3057
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tomahawk3.jpg
Views:	3048
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tommy-22.jpg
Views:	3049
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	105  

Last edited by SteveP; 02-02-2017 at 07:37 PM..
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
SteveP

As side note to the above, the Tomahawk is for all intents just a prettier version of the Hatsan Model 95. I have one in .25 and compared both rifles side by side and except for some minor cosmetic things, they're the same rifle.
Here's the side by side:

The receivers on both measure 13 7/8's from back of receiver to breech and 15 7/8's from back of receiver to the end of the forks.
-Both receivers measure 1 1/4 inches in width.
-The barrel block on the Tomahawk is a bit smaller in height but it's also not milled for the open sight screw holes like the 95 is.
-The end cap on the Tomahawk is flush with the receiver tube, the 95 sticks out but only on the top half where the safety goes into it, the bottom half is flush with the receiver tube,
-The barrel on the Tomahawk measures 15 inches with the ported muzzle break taken off...and it does unscrew and come off. With the break on, it measures 17 inches.
-If you could take that oversized break off the 95, I'd bet the barrel is the same 15 inches but the break makes the gun longer.
-The Tomahawk stock is a Monte Carlo style, at the receiver angles back from the barrel and the wood is thicker.
-The 95 is just the basic stock, at the receiver angles out towards the barrel and is thinner than the Tomahawk.
-They both use the exact same straight through barrel pivot screw with the ring and small locking screw on the other side.

You may not be able to find a Tomahawk but you can get very close to it with the Model 95 springer or even the Vortex or new QE versions, but the stock on the Tommy is just way prettier in my opinion than the Model 95, even after they've been refinished
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twin tommy3.jpg
Views:	3013
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	106   Click image for larger version

Name:	95 before-after.jpg
Views:	2933
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	107